Friday 29 January 2016

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

RAID YOUR CUPBOARDS
Christmas biscuits left over?
Chocolate coins lurking in the back of that cupboard?

Ok ok so I know I've not been around for a while but with exams and christmas going on I just haven't had a chance to bake let alone blog! For Christmas I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, not sure why but I didn't, it was the usual cupcakes and biscuits (see a running theme anyone?) 

However, moving past the lame apologies, I have a new creation to bring to you. A twist you may say on the bog standard cupcake you are used to seeing on this blog. Today I bring you the Cookies and Cream Cupcake!

Basically, I knew that I hadn't made anything lately and so I knew that it was time to raid my cupboards to see where I could go without having to leave my house. At the back of the cupboard I found a tin of unopened christmas cookies (the use by date isn't until July this year so we're safe!!) and a packet of chocolate coins. So take note, baking doesn't have to be fancy or an effort, guaranteed you have some treats lurking at the back of your cupboard and if you mix them with a simple recipe, hey it's another way of using up all those treats which means you can get on with getting into shape for the summer but without all the waste of throwing away your favourite treats!! 

Right recipe time!

Ingredients:
175g Caster Sugar
175g Butter
3 Eggs
175g Self Raising
1/2tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Vanilla Extract

Method:
1. Simple, all you have to do is mix them all together with either and electric whisk or a wooden spoon until smooth and completely combined.
2. Pop into the oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes.

Decoration:
280g Icing Sugar
140g Butter
2-3tbsp Milk
Cookies (any chocolate chip will be fine)
Melted chocolate (mine is in the form of chocolate coins)




Method:
1. Cream the butter until smooth.
2. Add the icing sugar in a bit at a time until in breadcrumb form, then add in the milk until a smooth spreadable consistency is achieved.
3. Crush the biscuits and add to the buttercream.
4. Before adding the cream, what I did was cut a small indent in the cupcake and fill with the melted chocolate, then replaced the removed cake.
5. Tip to the wise spread the cream on don't try and use a piping bag, after my two failed attempts at trying to pipe and then removing to re-crush the cookies then repeating, I advise against it!!




The finished product! These were a huge hit with the family, thinking this will be a new family party hit!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this post and will try out this recipe, give it your own twist with literally anything you have lying around in your cupboards and let me know how it goes!

Thanks for reading,
Caitlin xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment