Sunday 16 August 2015

Back to it... hopefully!

Right I really hope that this time I try again and stick to it!
Im so rubbish at this whole blogging thing but I really am going to give it a great go!!
I have done baking on and off again over the past few months so I'll just catch you up on those and also I have been really looking into the whole university life for baking so I'll talk a little more about this too.

Christmas!
For my friend's christmas presents I made them a box up of a cupcake, some biscuits and a milk bottle filled with a DIY hot chocolate with hot chocolate powder, marshmallows and chocolate chips in it. This idea was a great success and was super cheap to do as the ingredients weren't too expensive all together, the only things that did come to be fairly expensive was the box that it came in and the little milk bottles (all bought from Lakeland). I made different types of biscuits; round sugar cookies and gingerbread men. I also tried out a new cupcake recipe that added in greek yoghurt which actually made the cupcakes so creamy and amazing (even if I do say so myself!!) So definitely don't be put off if a cupcake recipe uses yoghurt, I nearly was and am so glad I persevered and used the yoghurt... What a difference!! (Unfortunately I did not remember to take a photo of the little boxes of goodness.. oops but I did get a photo of the cupcakes and very christmassy cases)



Easter was the next major load of baking I did.
I made brownies with mini, mini eggs on top, my first ever attempt at hot cross buns, white chocolate eggs with Oreo's inside and finally I made the same cupcakes I did for Christmas but with a Shreddies easter nest on top. I would advise not to use Shreddies as they tasted strange once warm from the melted chocolate and also they did not mould into a nest as easily as Corn Flakes would, definitely using Corn Flakes next time as Shreddies were a huge mistake!



The Oreo cookie chocolate egg things (great name I know) were incredibly easy to make. All you need is any type of white chocolate that you prefer (two big bars should be plenty) and Oreo cookies, you could use any type of chocolate that you like but white chocolate is the nicest for these recipe. You will need a piping bag and a mould of some sort that the Oreo's fit into.
1. Melt the chocolate
2. Fill the piping bag with chocolate (its easier to use one of these later on so just start using it and trust me you won't be sorry for using it!)
3. Put enough chocolate onto the base of each mould then place into the fridge until set.
4. Take a small blob of chocolate into each of the set moulds then place an Oreo on top and then pipe the remaining chocolate around the edges (be sure to cover the edges fully as this is what will glue the whole thing together) and then over the top of the Oreo.
5. Place back into the fridge for a remaining 20-30 minutes to ensure they are completely set.
6. ENJOY!!

Notice how mine aren't completely covered on the sides? Yeah thats because I didn't put enough chocolate on them. MAKE SURE YOU DO!!

My hot cross buns were a recipe from Sorted.com, great Youtube channel for easy and delicious recipes so make sure you check them out!! I found this recipe super, super easy and I guarantee you will too!! However I didn't make as many buns as the recipes says to just because I completely mis-judged the cutting up of them into smaller pieces so some of them took longer to cook as were too big, they were misshapen and some of them were a little bit harder to toast as they were too big. On the plus side though everyone who tried them said they were lovely. I think I'm just a harsh critic on my own baking. I am 100% a perfectionist!!



So that's all on what I've done so far. This summer I will be baking a lot more as obviously I have a lot more time and I want to do a lot more just so I can build up a small portfolio for university which I apply for in a matter of months!! Oh God how has that come round so quickly? I'm 18 in a few weeks as well, like what? I was 10 not so long ago?!!?!?! Anyway see you in my next blog post and please leave a comment if you would like to see me make anything in particular and blog about it?!

Thanks for reading,
Caitlin xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment